Estonian Beef Breeders Association was officially established on the 21st of July 2000. At the time there were eight members in the association, who owned about 1000 beef animals.
First president of the Estonian Beef Breeders Association was Leino Vessart (2000-2011), and Vallo Kruusimägi and Aigar Suurmaa also held positions in the management board. Since 2011 Aldo Vaan is the new president.
At the moment the association has 341 members, which include seven honorary members, and one honorary president – Leino Vessart. The management board has nine members.
According to ARIB (PRIA) data there are 67 996 beef animals in Estonia, from which 24 522 are suckler cows. Members of the association raise about half of Estonian’s beef animals.
The association’s objectives are to popularize raising and breeding of the beef animals.
- Marketing beef animals and beef meat in the interest of the association’s members;
- Organising animal breeding related jobs, creating breeding programmes, keeping herd books and releasing pedigree certificates, conducting the beef animals’ performance monitoring;
- Arrange different events (reunions, study trips, exhibitions, seminars, etc);
- Cooperation with Animal Breeders Association of Estonia;
- Participating in international cooperation projects and funds, establishing the funds;
- Promotion, advertising, consultation, and schooling (less than 6 months long courses) regarding above-mentioned areas of activities.